Providing families with a sense of community, jobs, great education for children, care for the elderly and attention to the needs at all life stages is always my priority. I continue to work on measures that strengthen families:
- Victims of domestic violence have greater assistance in beginning anew through legislation that I sponsored. This makes it easier for victims of domestic violence to set up new utilities, by deferring new resident fees and giving more time to pay utility bills.
- I supported spending plan that provided funds for LIHEAP (Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program) prioritizing families that rely on this essential service.
- Since the recession of 2008, many families have struggled financially, and I support measures that will bring jobs and relieve property taxes.
- Animals are often also an important component of family life and best friends to children and adults alike. I sponsored legislation that took effect at the beginning of 2016 that increases penalties for those who abuse animals in front of a child, House Bill 3231. I am proud that Illinois has been ranked as having toughest laws against animal abuse. HB 3231 was supported by the Animal Welfare Institute, Animal Legal Defense Fund and Best Friends Animal Society. This is a win for our communities.
- To keep our communities safe and to protect those who protect us, I supported House Bill 3184 which increases penalties on individuals who violently assault on-duty police officers, firefighters and emergency medical technicians. Those who commit aggravated assault against first responders will be charged with a Class 4 felony and face up to three years in prison.